India dethrones UK to become strongest source market to Maldives
According to the latest update from Ministry of Tourism, India has dethroned United Kingdom to become the strongest source market to the Maldives.
The latest statistical update reveal that the total number of tourists arriving from India was last recorded at 86,358, indicating a 13.2 percent share of the total tourist arrivals.
Meanwhile, arrivals from the United Kingdom was recorded at 82,325 indicating a 12.6 percent share of the total tourist arrivals.
Russia is the third strongest source market with 62,545 tourist arrivals so far which translates to 9.5 percent of the total tourist arrivals. Other markets include;
- Germany: ranked 4th with 56,058 arrivals
- Italy: ranked 5th with 43,748 arrivals
- United States: ranked 6th with 30,391 arrivals
- France: ranked 7th with 27,488 arrivals
- Switzerland: ranked 8th 16,769 arrivals
- Saudi Arabia: ranked 9th with 13,854 arrivals
- Austria: ranked 10th with 12,468 arrivals
Moreover, the total tourist arrivals to the Maldives as of 18th May 2022 reached 655,049 indicating an annual increment of 51.1 percent compared with the same period in 2021 during which the annual arrival reached 433,608.